Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Why "The Circular Ruins"

It's probably time to introduce myself.

Passing Shadows
In an experience not unique to me, I found myself a freshman in college, taking an exam on a short story that I hadn't read. The story was "The Circular Ruins" byJorges Borges. Trying to bluff and fake my way through the test, not having a clue what it was about, I encountered a question about the meaning of this statement in the story: "I realized I was but a passing shadow in another man's dream." (at least that's how I remember the question, my favorite translation phrases the statement slightly different).

The setting in my life at that time was such that one possible meaning immediately lept to mind with perfect clarity and real impact -- the statement was pure genius. I knew exactly what that statement meant, wrote about it, totally failed the exam, and my life was never the same since. I later read the story and found that it didn't at all mean what I thought it did, but mymis-interpretation had sparked an insight that would not leave. That statement was genius.

I have a pretty big life: complicated, involved, lots of players, lots of issues, lots of factors, big dreams, big experiences, big interactions with many people. When I looked around that exam room, I realized that every single person in there had a life every bit as big as mine. In Boston for the 4th of July one year, I was part of over 750 thousand people in a crowd on the banks of the Charles river, and every single one of those people had a life at least as big as mine. That's a whole lotta life, a really big lot.

My life as I see it is only through my perceptions of it. And all the big pieces of my big life are of course, just the way I see them.

I had a wonderful roommate in college who was a big part of my life for years. Yet now, the river runs, and we've moved on (we still keep in touch). Looking back, that passing part of my life made an impact on me. But the real insight is the reverse: I was just a passing shadow in another man's dream. The checkout lady at the grocery store looked like a rough day, so I made her laugh. But I was just a passing shadow, in her dream.

Seeing this has changed my interactions with people fundamentally, and significantly. In ways that are very hard to express. One thing is this: I'm glad Imis-read that quote -- if I could go back, I'd fail that exam again in a heart-beat.

The Circular Ruins
I highly recommend you find a comfy quiet place where you can read slowly and think about what you're reading, and read The Circular Ruins byJorges Borges. It probably won't be life changing, but it is high quality literature. Borges writes rich stories with astounding symbolism, but it's still a fine story even if you prefer not to catch any of it.

In The Circular Ruins, the main character goes to the circular ruins and creates: A creation that comes from within, but ends taking on a life of its own, A creation born of his love, blood, sweat, and tears, and years of constant exertion. Through his creation he makes a profound discovery about himself.

This blog is one of my circular ruins. Perhaps one day I'll see someone I know.

No comments: